[bitfolk] All customers have been opted back out of suspend+…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: [bitfolk] All customers have been opted back out of suspend+restore

gpg: Signature made Wed Sep 29 23:27:47 2021 UTC
gpg: using DSA key 0E4236CB52951E14536066222099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

TL;DR: We turned off suspend+restore for everyone. We think it is
okay for you to re-enable it as long as you use kernel 4.2 or newer
(released 6 years ago), but can't tell what kernel you're running so
erred on the side of caution. We continue to use it for our own VMs.

More detail:

We've just opted you all out of suspend+restore because of the
filesystem corruption that afflicted 2 customer VMs during the
maintenance in August. There were 83 customer VMs that previously
had opted in.

While investigating that we did of course not do any suspend+restore
anyway. I am now satisfied that we know why it happened and under
what circumstances it should be safe to use it again, but as a
precaution we have opted everyone out of it so you can make your own
decisions.

A direct email has gone out to the main contact for each VM that had
previously opted in to this. That email contains far more detail. If
you think you had opted in to suspend+restore but don't see that
email please check your spam folders etc (and then mark it as "not
spam" if necessary!).

You can see the current setting (or opt back in) here:

    https://panel.bitfolk.com/account/config/#prefs

You can read more about suspend+restore here:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Suspend_and_restore

Thanks,