Re: [bitfolk] Adding a new user

Author: Ed Neville
To: Samuel Bächler
CC: users@lists.bitfolk.com
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Adding a new user
Hello Samuel!

On 2021-09-14 10:45+0200, Samuel Bächler wrote:
> There are two commands adduser and useradd. According to the manpage
> (man useradd) it is more convenient to use adduser.

That's a Debian patch to the man page:

<https://salsa.debian.org/debian/shadow/-/blob/master/debian/patches/505_useradd_recommend_adduser>

I think there's another distro somewhere that recommends the inverse.
Personally I'm a 'useradd' fan, I didn't like the interactive nature of
adduser at some point. Normally, useradd -m 'whoeever' gets what I want,
when on a service desk I ask the end user if they have a crypt string,
then useradd -p 'crypt' -m 'whoever' gets what I want... Just my
personal preference.

Upstream makes no recommendation between the two :)

Ed