Re: [bitfolk] Destruction of domain failed

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Destruction of domain failed

gpg: Signature made Tue Apr 27 11:11:22 2021 UTC
Hi Lisa,

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 09:25:17AM +0100, Lisa Singh wrote:
> When I try to get into rescue mode I get the following error:
>
> libxl: error: libxl_domain.c:81:libxl__domain_rename: Domain 228:Domain
> with name "rutabaga" already exists.

You can't run two copies of your VM at once. You're getting this
message because your VM is currently running and you're trying to
start another instance of it in rescue mode.

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Rescue

I'm assuming that you can't log in to your VPS to shut it down. If
so, you can try the "shutdown" command from the Xen Shell first. If
that does not complete for any reason then you can ctrl-c it and use
the "destroy" command instead. That is like yanking the power.

Once you're booted into the Rescue VM there are some examples on that
article that might help you with what you want to do:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Rescue#Taking_an_image_of_a_whole_VM

As you say you only want a copy of your home directory you'll
probably want to mount it first instead of taking a copy of the disk
image.

(I know that you don't have a partition table on your block device
so it will be xvda not xvda1)

$ sudo mount -v /dev/xvda /mnt
$ sudo rsync -PSHavz /mnt/home/ you@???:/path/

or