[bitfolk] Fedora switched to zstd compression, so PVH mode i…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: [bitfolk] Fedora switched to zstd compression, so PVH mode is advised

gpg: Signature made Mon Jan 18 13:44:06 2021 UTC
Hello,

I don't think there's many¹ of you running Fedora, but as of
kernel-core-5.9.8-100.fc32 they switched their kernel compression
method from gzip to zstd.

Similarly to Ubuntu — which switched to lz4 from 19.10 onwards —
this leaves it not bootable in Xen PV mode as the PV boot loader
doesn't understand zstd (or lz4) compression.

This may not be obvious to you as this has happened in the middle of
a release and I don't think it is announced anywhere that the
compression method was changed. Nor would such an announcement
necessarily prepare you for the sudden boot failure in any case.

The simplest way forward is to switch to PVH mode:

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/PVH#Fedora

If for some reason you don't want to switch to PVH mode², you will
need to get a kernel that is not compressed with zstd. Possibly
there are other kernels available for Fedora, or you could use
extract-vmlinux to decompress the packaged one.

¹ We don't have an installer for it, but it can be installed from
the Rescue VM, and at least two of you did that.

² I don't know of any reason not to use PVH mode.