[bitfolk] Reboots will be necessary to address security issu…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: [bitfolk] Reboots will be necessary to address security issues, probably early hours 19/20/21 September

gpg: Signature made Tue Sep 8 16:51:52 2020 UTC
Hello,

Unfortunately some serious security bugs have been discovered in the
Xen hypervisor and fixes for these have now been pre-disclosed, with
an embargo that ends at 1200Z on 22 September 2020.

As a result we will need to apply these fixes and reboot everything
before that time. We are likely to do this in the early hours of the
morning UK time, on 19, 20 and 21 September.

In the next few days individual emails will be sent out confirming
to you which hour long maintenance window your services are in. The
times will be in UTC; please note that UK is currently observing
daylight savings and as such is currently at UTC+1. We expect the
work to take between 15 and 30 minutes per bare metal host.

If you have opted in to suspend and restore¹ then your VM will be
suspended to storage and restored again after the host it is on is
rebooted. Otherwise your VM will be cleanly shut down and booted
again later.

If you cannot tolerate the downtime then please contact
support@???. We may be able to almost-live migrate you to
already-patched hardware before the regular maintenance starts. You
can expect a few tens of seconds of pausing in that case. This is
still a somewhat experimental process and also requires you to opt
in to suspend and restore.

¹ https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Suspend_and_restore