[bitfolk] 2020-08-16 22:58Z - Host "elephant" locked up and …

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: [bitfolk] 2020-08-16 22:58Z - Host "elephant" locked up and required a power cycle

gpg: Signature made Sun Aug 16 23:43:41 2020 UTC
Hi,

At approximately 22:58Z on 16 August host "elephant" became
unresponsive and we received alerts for every customer/service on
it. Its BMC serial console connected but was also unresponsive.

After determining that it was still powered on but not responding,
around 23:13Z I decided to power cycle it.

This appears to have gone without incident and by around 23:17Z
customer VMs were starting to be booted; this completed by around
23:31Z.

If you are still experiencing problems with your service please in
the first instance have a look at your Xen Shell console to see if
you spot anything obvious.

    https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Xen_Shell

If that doesn't help, please open a support ticket.

I still do not know what caused elephant to hard lock up. There are
no hardware events logged. It may happen again in which case we will
need to look at swapping it out, which will come with some downtime
for those hosted on it.

Apologies for the disruption and thanks for your patience.