Re: [bitfolk] No 32-bit Ubuntu after 19.10

Author: Paul Tansom
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] No 32-bit Ubuntu after 19.10
** Andy Smith <andy@???> [2019-06-18 20:27]:
> If I am reading this correctly:
>
>     https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/i386-architecture-will-be-dropped-starting-with-eoan-ubuntu-19-10/11263/2

> then 18.04 was the last LTS release of Ubuntu on 32-bit x86 CPUs.
> If you wish to run Ubuntu 20.04 at BitFolk then you will need to do
> that as 64-bit amd64.
>
> As Ubuntu supports 18.04 to some degree out to the year 2028, if
> you're currently on 32-bit then you could remain on that release for
> some time. Although you will of course find it harder and harder to
> get by with older package versions.
>
> If you are currently on 32-bit Ubuntu and wish to switch to 64-bit
> you can do so yourself by doing a self-install:
>
>     https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Using_the_self-serve_net_installer

> You would need to use the "arch" command first to switch from 32-bit
> to 64-bit.
>
> If re-installing is too much disruption, a reminder that we are
> happy to give you an additional VM for free for up to 2 weeks for
> you to migrate into:
>
>     https://tools.bitfolk.com/wiki/Migrating_to_a_new_VPS

> Finally, it is possible to cross-grade from 32-bit to 64-bit, but
> the procedure is complicated, scary, and not supported by either
> Ubuntu or BitFolk. More info here:
>
>     http://users.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/hobbies/debian_arch_up/index.html
>     https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading

> (Yes, these are for Debian, but the steps are basically the same for
> Ubuntu)
>
> The only BitFolk-specific deviation from the above procedure that is
> required is to make sure to use the "arch" command in the Xen Shell
> to switch to 64-bit before you try to boot your 64-bit kernel.
> Otherwise it starts a 32-bit boot loader that won't work. It won't
> hurt anything, it just won't work until you change it.

** end quote [Andy Smith]

This has been on my todo list for way to long and I was planning to use your
additional VM offer to get to 18.04. All I need is two weeks where I can
guaranty enough time to do the work - hence the in place upgrade to 18.04! I
can vouch for the offer being very handy though, unfortunately last time I did
it I either didn't think to switch to 64 bit or it was still recommended to use
32 bit in a VM, I think the latter from my vague memory.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | https://www.aptanet.com/ | 023 9238 0001
Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: Ralls House,