Re: [bitfolk] Filesystems/volume management for home servers

Author: Gavin Westwood
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Filesystems/volume management for home servers
On 31/05/2019 19:07, Hugo Mills wrote:
>    I'd go for btrfs. (Disclaimer: I'm a regular contributor to the
> btrfs community, and I've written quite a bit of their documentation).
> I've been running a RAID-1 btrfs data store for about 10 years. In
> that time, I've hit one bug that required me to restore from
> backup. That was 9 years ago, when the FS was about as stable as an MP
> in a three-way marginal constituency.

>    I'm now up to 11TB of data on a 13TB RAID-1, and it's been fine for
> years, even over power failures and several disk failures.

That sounds good, I'll get it set up and migrate the data across. :-)

>    The primary things you need to ensure is that your hardware is
> reliable (no USB storage, and disks and controllers which honour flush
> instructions), <snip>

Thanks for the tips.

>    Scrub regularly, avoid compression and qgroups and parity RAID for
> metadata, and you should be fine.

>    Note that RAID-1 is *not* a backup. You still need backups.
> <snip>

I'm very good about preaching about backups, not so great at actually
doing them myself.  My longer-term intention is to set up an off-site
daily-updated backup server, probably at my parents rather than in the
cloud, but I don't have the money for that currently.

Thanks

Gavin