Re: [bitfolk] Suggestions for future features and improvemen…

Author: admins
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Suggestions for future features and improvements
Indeed IP6 and its large address space does bring additional challenges.

Some of the admin efficiency's that are doable in IP4 will no longer be
efficient or workable in IP6.

I had assumed you guys were running a more dynamic setup and a less
static file oriented bind arrangement and maybe generating/injecting
ptr's off the back of A and AAAA records. Under such a scripted dynamic
scheme, zones are not pre-populated and it becomes doable to have an
aliases list (db, file etc) to modify a pointer for specific addresses
and let the rest default to whatever you choose.

http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch2/index.html#dyn-update

Pre-populating full ranges is a chew even for IP4. But I guess doable at
scale (with a bit of scripty) and depending on turnover not too
intensive to maintain.

Similarly creating fully pre-populated IP6 zones per customer just on
the off chance they are needed is crazy talk.

Going from a more static setup to a dynamic one, without killing
anything, is a major job, far too major for something as trivial as
aliasing/changing a reverse pointer for the odd customer. Useful as this
is for limited email serving.

It has been a  long time since I looked into bind's dynamic
capabilities, for an educational ISP, in a previous life.

If "Get Carter" did sysadmin, I would be saying at this point that I am
a big guy and out of shape, but this is no longer my full time
occupation. LOL

Thanks for sorting out the default reverse lookups of the allocated
IP6's though, much appreciated.

Cheers

Kirbs