Re: [bitfolk] Hivemind - MITM email for delivery to multiple…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Hivemind - MITM email for delivery to multiple servers?

gpg: Signature made Tue Jan 8 10:25:33 2019 UTC
Hello,

On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 10:07:04AM +0000, Murray Crane wrote:
> I've been tasked with finding a way for our directors emails to be
> delivered to two servers (somewhat simultaneously). They use their "work
> email addresses" as personal accounts, as well as business accounts (don't
> get me started), and they don't want to be reliant on connectivity to the
> corporate Exchange servers, so I've set up a Docker mail server on their
> home network, but getting their mail delivered to both that MTA and the
> Exchange servers is above my knowledge grade.

I don't really know very much about the kind of setups that use
Exchange servers, that is a whole career unto itself I think.

Rather than try to get every mail sent and received on two
completely different email platform to be synced together, maybe it
would be easier to solve the problem of them having access to the
same platform from everywhere?

You say you have put a mail server on their "home network" - do you
literally mean a network in their home that is distinct from the
network that Exchange lives on (an office network?)? Why is this
preferable to them than using Exchange? What problems do they face
in getting access to Exchange?

If they're comfortable with the Exchange server — and it sounds like
they are, if they are even using it for personal email — then I
think I'd be looking at setting up permanent site-to-site VPNs
between (home)←→(office) and (their mobile devices)←→(office) and
just have them use Exchange for everything all of the time.

VPNs are at least an often solved problem whereas melding Exchange
and some random third party email platform is always going to be
fighting against Microsoft who want you all Exchange all the time.