Re: [bitfolk] [andy@bitfolk.com: Re: Host "hen" crashed agai…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] [andy@bitfolk.com: Re: Host "hen" crashed again (Was: Re: Host "hen" unexpectedly rebooted 2018-11-26 22:24)]

gpg: Signature made Fri Dec 21 19:20:08 2018 UTC using DSA key ID BF15490B
gpg: Good signature from "Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net>"
gpg: aka "Andrew James Smith <andy@strugglers.net>"
gpg: aka "Andy Smith (UKUUG) <andy.smith@ukuug.org>"
gpg: aka "Andy Smith (BitFolk Ltd.) <andy@bitfolk.com>"
gpg: aka "Andy Smith (Linux User Groups UK) <andy@lug.org.uk>"
gpg: aka "Andy Smith (Cernio Technology Cooperative) <andy.smith@cernio.com>"
Hello,

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 06:43:26PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> I'm not in front of a computer at the moment so later today I'll
> review what was logged.

The hypervisor appears to have crashed servicing the same guest as
it was servicing last time it crashed. It is very unlikely to be
malicious, just some strange interaction with that guest.

I have contacted that customer to let them know I'll move
segregating their VPS onto test hardware in the next 6 hours.

"hen" is now running with configuration options which are thought to
have a good chance to avoid the area of code the bug is thought to
lurk in, so the test host will not use those options and we'll see
if this guest crashes it.

So, in summary, we've learned some useful things and configuration
is now set that it's hoped will help avoid this problem on "hen"
again, but we aren't 100% sure yet.

Cheers,
Andy