Re: [bitfolk] New monitoring system coming online soon

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] New monitoring system coming online soon

gpg: Signature made Mon Dec 10 11:28:59 2018 UTC
Hi OM,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 12:09:58PM +0100, Ole-Morten Duesund wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, what's the replacement? I'm "always" on the lookout
> for a decent monitoring system - so far I've simply postponed it.

I've gone with Icinga2, so not a dramatic departure from Nagios, but
benefits from:

- me using a release from this year

- looking a lot nicer / easier to use than the ancient Nagios
version (no comment on modern Nagios; it's far too enterprisey to
even research)

- not user-visible but the configuration is completely different,
much easier to build from my databases, much easier to query since
its config goes into a database, and has a useful API.

I will drop you some details off-list so that you can have a preview
of it, although as I say for anything more complicated than ping
checks I haven't yet got further than users starting with 'h'. This
still comprises over 1,000 service checks.