Re: [bitfolk] Security reboot needed, likely to be weekend o…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Security reboot needed, likely to be weekend of 17/18/19 November

gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 18 02:58:26 2018 UTC
Hello,

On Wed, Nov 07, 2018 at 05:35:45PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> Unfortunately some security flaws have been discovered in the
> hypervisor software we use (Xen) so we will need to patch and reboot
> everything before the public release of the details on 20 November.
>
> I expect we will do this work in the early hours of the morning (UK
> time) between Saturday 17 and Monday 19 November,

Today's maintenance work is now complete, and went without issue for
hosts "paradox" and "hen", but unfortunately during the boot up of
host "hobgoblin" the hypervisor encountered a bug and crashed.

It was part way through starting VPSes, after restoring those that
had opted in to save+restore, so all of those restored plus some of
those started would have experienced the equivalent of a hard power
off.

The host then automatically rebooted with the second boot going as
expected. That's a mixed blessing as it means the problem is not
easy to replicate.

This was clearly a bug in the software, which I will investigate,
attempt to replicate and report.

Apologies for the disruption this will have caused to customers on
host "hobgoblin".