Re: [bitfolk] How much should BitFolk allow you to owe us be…

Top Page

Author: Alun
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] How much should BitFolk allow you to owe us before we suspend your service?
Paul Lewis <paul@???> said, in message
C231E2A2-6B8C-4684-9AE2-5A88B1533347@???:

> In my opinion, you should just keep this simple and have a toggle in
> the Bitfolk control panel:
>
> Allow overage fees: On/Off
>
> And default to Off

This would work for me. My VPS hosts a couple of web sites (one
paying a nominal fee for maintenance and hosting), mail for a local
company (as a favour for friends) and my personal domains. So getting
cut off *would* inconvenience some people who rely on me. But, on the
flip side, even 400GBytes of overage charge would swamp the yearly
income I get from them.

Of course, this option still doesn't protect Bitfolk from the case where
someone has explicitly enabled overage fees, but it'll save you chasing
people who've been unlucky and couldn't immediately pay the bill even
if they wanted to.

I do think that even overage charges should have a cut off too (or
stupendously aggressive throttling). It's not as though people can't
buy extra up-front if they know something big is coming down the line.
I'd limit it to e.g. 10 x their monthly agreed quota.

Cheers,
Alun.