Re: [bitfolk] How much should BitFolk allow you to owe us be…

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: users
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] How much should BitFolk allow you to owe us before we suspend your service?

gpg: Signature made Tue Jun 19 17:07:58 2018 UTC
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for your input.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 04:08:35PM +0000, Nigel Barker wrote:
> Can we have a threshold per customer?

Yes, everything is a Simple Matter of Programming¹, but we need to
discuss the defaults first because the problem occurs when a
customer incurs overage and does not respond to existing alerts etc.
Such a customer will not have declared a preference of any kind, and
will be operating based on the defaults for the service.

> If I set it (or ask for it to be set) to say twice my monthly fee, I can hardly complain when the bill comes?

So, just to put some figures to that.

Base VPS is £8.99+VAT, so let's say cut-off at £18.00+VAT. That
translates to 300GB of overage. Base VPS is allowed 1,000GB per 30
days outbound. Once it hits 1,300GB and thus owes BitFolk
another £18.00+VAT, you would be comfortable with the network being
temporarily suspended unless the customer has already responded or
been in touch to say that they are aware of the overage and are
comfortable for it to be allowed to continue?

> That way most customers would get a default (perhaps set at 150%
> of their monthly allowance) and those who know they need more can
> say so (and not be impacted).

Just to be clear, 150% of the default 1TB outbound allowance is an
extra 500GB which would cost 500 × £0.06 = £30.00+VAT.

Which do you like best, 1.5x allowance or 2x monthly service charge?

¹ Half-serious reference to http://wiki.c2.com/?SimpleMatterOfProgramming :)