Re: [bitfolk] Unreliable IPv6?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: announce
Subject: Re: [bitfolk] Unreliable IPv6?

gpg: Signature made Tue Dec 19 14:44:47 2017 UTC
Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 09:17:46AM +0100, Andreas Olsson wrote:
> Is it just me, or has Bitfolk's IPv6 connectivity been a bit unreliably
> these last few months?

I'm sorry about this, it is a known issue that I am working on.

The trigger of the problem is that Jump (our transit provider) has a
router which has some sort of intermittent fault and has been
rebooting itself. For the last few months they've been replacing
bits of it to try to track down where the fault lies, but haven't
got to the bottom of it yet. They're going to replace it entirely in
January.

As far as IPv4 goes, VRRP is in use and so when this router dies you
don't really notice.

On the IPv6 side of things it's relying on the usual IPv6 router
advertisements and something is wrong with BitFolk's configuration
there.

All of BitFolk's hosts have two IPv6 default routes learned from
router advertisements, and what is supposed to happen is that when
of the routers dies the route is removed. This isn't happening, so
the useless route stays there until the expiry time (30 minutes) or
the reconvergence after the faulty router has rebooted (about 10
minutes).

I've been trying to work out why BitFolk's setup doesn't remove the
useless route, trying stuff out in test networks etc and so far I
can't work out what is different in BitFolk's setup to make it not
work. I will continue working on that even after Jump's router is
replaced.

I will keep you up to date on developments with this.